[Shop-talk] Starter problems

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Starter problems
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 14:08:55 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/09/2015 14:05:09, Serialize complete at 01/09/2015 14:05:09
Yesterday, I towed and replaced my buddies starter on his 2007 Dodge Ram
1500.

It has about 130K miles.  What struck me as odd was that he said this is
his second starter on that truck.

I'm a high milage truck guy (my last truck had over 220K miles when I sold
it and my current truck as 175K miles) and I've never replaced a starter.

My questions is, can he be doing something wrong that is killing his
starters?  I haven't seen him over-crank his truck, but what normally
causes the starters to fail?  (There was a core charge on the starter, so
I couldn't tear into it to see what broken.)

Now, I garage keep all my vehicles and he never does, I would guess that
could play into it.

But, is there anything I can tell him to help him not burn through them as
quickly?

Thanks

Eric P
Waldo Emerson