Re: [Shop-talk] Starter problems

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Starter problems
From: Benjamin Zwissler <bjzwissler@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 16:08:22 -0500
Cc: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Excessive heat is a major cause of starter failure.  To limit warranty
we put a software feature in our engine controllers to limit the time
you can crank within a given time period.  This avoids overtemping the
starter.  Changing the exhaust or removing heat shields could also
raise the temps the starter sees.

Beyond heat, vibration can be an issue, too.  That's mostly a design
issue, but again if there's been any mods to the truck (engine mounts,
calibration changes, etc.) that could cause a higher vibration profile
at the starter.

Ben.....