Re: [Shop-talk] Ever sell off all your tools?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Ever sell off all your tools?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:48:45 -0500
Cc: "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Jim,

I just spent 2.5 years in apartments for work--two years in Coral Gables
(Miami), six months in the snowy north.

Had a co-worker that did nearly the same thing and said he loved it.

...I did not. There was always a loose doorknob/faucet/whatever that
required that tool that I had but left in the house 500 miles away. There
would be some mini-project I wanted to deal with but no tools (and no where
to work).

The only time I liked it was when the fridge in the apartment died. I had
no tools and no multimeter. I just called the landlord. Took way too long
and three trips and the guy left a incredible mess behind, but I don't know
anything about refrigerators anyway.

Car stuff was the worst. Oil change? There is _no_way_ I'm taking it to
someone to put God knows what cheap oil and filter in it for $69.99, or
$299 for new brake pads, etc. So everything meant a 500 mile (one way)
trip, sometimes in a car I'd prefer not to be driving.

I just bought a house partially just to get out of apartments. Yes, I might
blow up the house changing gas lines (actually, I haven't so far, but I
hook up the new heater this weekend), but at least I'm not waiting,
wondering when the slack-jawed moron will finally show up to do a
half-assed job. If there's going to be a slack-jawed moron half-assing it,
I'll be that moron, at least.

I think it's just a personality thing. If you think you might like it, you
probably will. I know my co-worker said he had lots more free time, and
enjoyed it. If I had mechanics and repairmen that I knew to do good work,
timely and at reasonable prices I might like it more. I don't, so I didn't.

Scott