Re: [Shop-talk] old people pouring gas

To: john niolon <jniolon@att.net>,shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] old people pouring gas
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 22:02:21 -0500
I find that working over an engine can be very
hard on an "old broke down guy" especially with
high vehicles like full-size SUVs.  I invested in
a topside
creeper:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QGXSODA.
Mine is an older model, but same idea.  When I
have to transfer a lot of gas, I put the can up
on the topside creeper.  I attach some tubing
long enough to reach from the can to the tank I
am filling.  I still manually tilt the can
forward to get the gas to flow, but I am not
supporting the whole weight.  I know that if you
don't want to spend $150 to replace the cans, you
probably don't want to spend $200 for a topside
creeper.  The only way to justify that would be
if you also want to use it for its intended
purpose when working on cars.  Really, you just
want a way to support a can high enough.  Have
you considered rigging something onto a step ladder?

-Steve T.

At 08:10 AM 12/5/2018, john niolon wrote:
>Iâ??m admitting it.  Iâ??m an old broke down
>guy.  Been fighting leaves this week with a zero
>turn and a cyclone rake leaf vacuum. (Nearly 2
>acres with 75 oak trees = many leaves)   My
>worst part is filling equipment with
>fuel.  Iâ??ve got bad shoulders... one
>surgeryâ??d and the other needs it.  Hoisting
>and holding a 30-35 pound gas can up above waist
>high is getting to me. The holding is the hard
>part... I know it gets lighter as it empties but
>itâ??s still a struggle.  It takes 12-15 gals to
>fill the zero turn and about 1/2 gallon to fill
>the vac motor.  but both inlets are high and
>itâ??s at an awkward position also.
>
>Iâ??m looking for a rack or tilting rack that
>will hold standard red plastic gas cans and
>allow for easy filling...I know Iâ??d have to
>lift the can into the rack.. but then the rack
>could hold the weight during filling. Iâ??ve
>seen the tilt racks for round 5 gallon cans but
>they are all too short.  I canâ??t find anything
>on the net to suit.  I wonâ??t replace my cans
>with the ez-pour bottom spout cans. That would
>be about 150 bucks.  I keep 5 five gallon cans for the mowers.
>
>Havenâ??t found an affordable pumping system
>that wasnâ??t too expensive, yet  The cheap
>plastic ones behind Google all have bad  reviews.
>
>Anyone built something like this ??   Or, have
>an affordable pumping system that works ??
>
>thanks
>john

---

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk