Re: [Shop-talk] I HATE ROCKAUTO!!! (anyone else?)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I HATE ROCKAUTO!!! (anyone else?)
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 07:36:21 -0700

--------------E0288472C25FCE87DD14AD72

One problem with buying parts online is fraud perpetrated by customers.
We bought eight coils for our Lincoln LS--they have a well-known problem
with coils--from RA and at least a couple of them were defective and
apparently used (RA accepted the returns and refunded us completely).
The fairly generous return policies allow unscrupulous customers to
return their old parts in the new boxes and get credit, effectively
getting the parts for free. Most parts houses appear to just put the
returns back on the shelf without checking that they were the new parts.
I had a similar problem with a brake slave cylinder from a specialty
parts house.

Bob

On 7/17/2020 7:00 AM, Rochlin Robert wrote:
> Iâ??ve grown careful of my dealings with  RockAuto.  Many times they
> have the lowest price on the face of it and great product
> descriptions, but when you put an order together the shipping
> sometimes negates the savings.  The last time I had a problem with
> RockAuto and was trying to get some assistance there was a dialog box
> along the way that said the site was fully automated and that there
> was no in person customer service. I believe there was a list with
> about every issue you could possibly have and a step by step to go
> through  and resolve it. I was able to resolve my issue in this
> fashion.  On the other end of the spectrum I got an OEM bumper for my
> truck at over $200 under the dealer price and the shipping was about
> $30.00 on that item.
> Best,
> Bob
>
>> On Jul 16, 2020, at 6:59 PM, John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net
>>
>> I've had very good luck with Rockauto.  The prices were usually as
>> good Amazon when shipping was figured in and the website is much
>> better at picking the correct parts for my GMC Denali.  I live in CT
>> and shipping is generally 2 days or less.  Sorry that you had
>> problems.   John Mitchell
>>
>> On 7/16/2020 3:02 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>> OK, this is a partial vent, but it's also a warning to anyone out
>>> there about Rockauto.
>>>
>>> THEY ARE HORRIBLE!
>>>
>>> First, item shipping varies so much depending what verison of the
>>> part you buy, that you spend more time trying to figure out what the
>>> shipping will be then actually finding the product (which is
>>> sometimes a pain.)  I had a $365 shipping cost for a $45 part once
>>> (of course I didn't buy from them.)
>>>
>>> Then, if you have any issues with their products, GOOD LUCK!
>>>
>>> I got an oil pan and gasket from them.  The oil pain is .15" too
>>> large to fit, but I couldn't tell this until I was trying to install
>>> it, which meant that the gasket was opened (and therefore not
>>> returnable.)  So now I tried to return the pan, but they aren't able
>>> to tell me if the replacement will be the same one.
>>> Then, instead of sending me a replacement pan, they send me another
>>> gasket!  So I want to return this gasket, but I have to pay for the
>>> shipping!  Also, they default to Fedex which doesn't pick up at your
>>> house, you have to bring it to them, which is about 45 mins away
>>> from me!
>>> So, now i'm out the shipping of all items, I have an oil pan that
>>> doesn't fit, and I still can't even speak to anyone at the company.
>>>
>>> I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!!!!
>>>
>>> Anyone else have the same experience?  I've used them twice before
>>> and both times I had to re-select different options to not incur
>>> crazy shipping expenses.
>>>

>>> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>>> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
> [...]

  <head>
  </head>
    One problem with buying parts online is fraud perpetrated by
    customers. We bought eight coils for our Lincoln LS--they have a
    well-known problem with coils--from RA and at least a couple of them
    were defective and apparently used (RA accepted the returns and
    refunded us completely). The fairly generous return policies allow
    unscrupulous customers to return their old parts in the new boxes
    and get credit, effectively getting the parts for free. Most parts
    houses appear to just put the returns back on the shelf without
    checking that they were the new parts. I had a similar problem with
    a brake slave cylinder from a specialty parts house.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:3337D6F6-1706-4F45-9E33-1D6195C91707@comcast.net">
      Iâ??ve grown careful of my dealings with  RockAuto.  Many times they
      have the lowest price on the face of it and great product
      descriptions, but when you put an order together the shipping
      sometimes negates the savings.  The last time I had a problem with
      RockAuto and was trying to get some assistance there was a dialog
      box along the way that said the site was fully automated and that
      there was no in person customer service. I believe there was a
      list with about every issue you could possibly have and a step by
      step to go through  and resolve it. I was able to resolve my issue
      in this fashion.  On the other end of the spectrum I got an OEM
      bumper for my truck at over $200 under the dealer price and the
      shipping was about $30.00 on that item.
          class="">
              &lt;<a href="mailto:jmitch@snet.net"; class=""
                moz-do-not-send="true">jmitch@snet.net</a>&gt; wrote:</div>
                charset=UTF-8" class="">
                  prices were usually as good Amazon when shipping was
                  figured in and the website is much better at picking
                  the correct parts for my GMC Denali.  I live in CT and
                  shipping is generally 2 days or less.  Sorry that you
                  had problems.   John Mitchell<br class="">
                    class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
                    href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true">eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:<br
                    class="">
cite="mid:OF154C0FA4.E2B10FFB-ON852585A7.0067D224-852585A7.0068A3AB@mail.megageek.com"
                  class="">
                    charset=UTF-8" class="">
                    a partial vent, but it's also a warning to anyone
                    out there about Rockauto.</font> <br class="">
                    HORRIBLE!</font> <br class="">
                    shipping varies so much depending what verison of
                    the part you buy, that you spend more time trying to
                    figure out what the shipping will be then actually
                    finding the product (which is sometimes a pain.)  I
                    had a $365 shipping cost for a $45 part once (of
                    course I didn't buy from them.)</font> <br class="">
                    have any issues with their products, GOOD LUCK!</font>
                    pan and gasket from them.  The oil pain is .15" too
                    large to fit, but I couldn't tell this until I was
                    trying to install it, which meant that the gasket
                    was opened (and therefore not returnable.)  So now I
                    tried to return the pan, but they aren't able to
                    tell me if the replacement will be the same one.</font>
                    instead of sending me a replacement pan, they send
                    me another gasket!  So I want to return this gasket,
                    but I have to pay for the shipping!  Also, they
                    default to Fedex which doesn't pick up at your
                    house, you have to bring it to them, which is about
                    45 mins away from me!</font> <br class="">
                    out the shipping of all items, I have an oil pan
                    that doesn't fit, and I still can't even speak to
                    anyone at the company.</font> <br class="">
                    USE THEM AGAIN!!!!</font> <br class="">
                    have the same experience?  I've used them twice
                    before and both times I had to re-select different
                    options to not incur crazy shipping expenses.</font>
                    "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your
                    rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on
                    the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo
                    Emerson <br class="">
                    -Who is John Galt?</font> </blockquote>

--------------E0288472C25FCE87DD14AD72--

--===============8673230795721395713==