Re: [Shop-talk] tv - home theater cabling problem

To: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tv - home theater cabling problem
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 11:21:45 -0400
Cc: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000022951205ad64ccdd

RD, I=E2=80=99ve had similar challenges with evolving AV tech (4K) and I=E2=
=80=99ve
essentially done what you did (Plex server).  I=E2=80=99ve moved all of my =
movies,
DVD, pictures, etc. onto a Synology Network Attached Storage (RAID 10) that
runs Plex Server.  I have a mix of clients all over the house, everything
from mini-PCs, to Amazon Fire sticks/boxes, and Nvidia Shields.  I=E2=80=99=
m not an
expert, but I=E2=80=99ve been running Plex for about 10 years now if you ha=
ve any
questions.

Best,
Ian

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com> wrote:

> John & group -
>
> Things got complicated when I decided to playback 4K movie files from har=
> drives or other removable devices. I've got a couple of USB3 8TB drives
> full of movies. One is all 4K files. Some of these are formatted
> slightly differently than others and require a seperate audio codec. plus
> the TV has only 1 USB port. After posting questions to a worldwide media
> list I've been on since the late '90s when I built my first digital A/V
> editing system, the consensus was that I needed a "media player" to conne=
ct
> the two hard drives to the TV, so I ordered a MyPin M29 media player, $60
> from Amazon. It supported the file formats I needed, but it wouldn't let =
me
> turn off subtitles/closed captioning (bummer) and I get frequent, subtle
> "stuttering" in the audio (MAJOR bummer). If I plugged the 4K hard drive
> into either my Mac or PC and used VLC, everything worked fine, but I want
> to watch these movies on the 55 inch in our bedroom. An added problem was
> that the output of the MyPin player is HDMI and I was already out of HDMI
> ports on the TV. So, after several discussions with several folks, I
> ordered a Lenovo M75 Tiny mini PC and plan to run Plex server as the core
> of a home media server down the road. The hard drives plug into it, and
> there's plenty of room for expansion.
>
> Now, how to get these additional souces into the TV? While working to
> connect all of these input devices I noticed that TESmart has a 4 x 1 HDM=
> switch. I'm using one of their KVM switches to let me control a couple of
> Macs and a PC with a single keyboard and mouse for some time and it works
> great. I sent their tech folks a note describing my issues with 4K and th=
ey
> said try it. The switch was $25 and they offer a 30 day return.
> Unfortunately it won't work with 4K so it's going back next week. After
> talking to a Ford AV systems engineer in Austin that I've worked with
> before, I ordered a Monoprice (31057) switch/scaler that Monoprice promis=
es
> will do what I need. It, too, has a 30 return.
>
> Sorry if i've been a bit long winded but setting up all of these boxe to
> work together, especially with 4K is a bit complex. The reason I'm going
> through all of this detail is that if anyone's not doing 4K video, all of
> the simpler routing and switching should work fine. However, if you have
> ANY thoughts of going to 4K, plan for that now. Hopefully I can save othe=
> folks some blood, sweat & tears!
>
> RD

--00000000000022951205ad64ccdd

g AV tech (4K) and I=E2=80=99ve essentially done what you did (Plex server)=
.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ve moved all of my movies, DVD, pictures, etc. onto a Syn=
ology Network Attached Storage (RAID 10) that runs Plex Server.=C2=A0 I hav=
e a mix of clients all over the house, everything from mini-PCs, to Amazon =
Fire sticks/boxes, and Nvidia Shields.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m not an expert, but=
 I=E2=80=99ve been running Plex for about 10 years now if you have any ques=
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ronnie Day=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ronnie.day@gmail.com";>ronnie.day@gmail.com</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex=
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">John &amp; g=
 4K movie files from hard drives or other removable devices. I&#39;ve got a=
 couple of USB3 8TB drives full of movies. One is all 4K files. Some of the=
se are formatted slightly=C2=A0differently than others and require a sepera=
te audio codec. plus the TV has only 1 USB port. After posting questions to=
 a worldwide media list I&#39;ve been on since the late &#39;90s when I bui=
lt my first digital A/V editing system, the consensus was that I needed a &=
quot;media player&quot; to connect the two hard drives to the TV, so I orde=
red a MyPin M29 media player, $60 from Amazon. It supported the file format=
s I needed, but it wouldn&#39;t let me turn off subtitles/closed captioning=
 (bummer) and I get frequent, subtle &quot;stuttering&quot; in the audio (M=
AJOR bummer). If I plugged the 4K hard drive into either my Mac or PC and u=
sed VLC, everything worked fine, but I want to watch these movies on the 55=
 inch in our bedroom. An added problem was that the output of the MyPin pla=
yer=C2=A0is HDMI and I was already out of HDMI ports on the TV. So, after s=
everal discussions with several folks, I ordered a Lenovo M75 Tiny mini PC =
and plan to run Plex server as the core of a home media server down the roa=
d. The hard drives plug into it, and there&#39;s plenty of room for expansi=
to the TV? While working to connect all of these input devices I noticed th=
at TESmart has a 4 x 1 HDMI switch. I&#39;m using one of their KVM switches=
 to let me control a couple of Macs and a PC with a single keyboard and mou=
se for some time and it works great. I sent their tech folks a note describ=
ing my issues with 4K and they said try it. The switch was $25 and they off=
er a 30 day return. Unfortunately it won&#39;t work with 4K so it&#39;s goi=
ng back next week. After talking to a Ford AV systems engineer in Austin th=
at I&#39;ve worked with before, I ordered a Monoprice (31057) switch/scaler=
 that Monoprice promises will do what I need. It, too, has a 30 return.</di=
up all of these boxe to work together, especially with 4K is a bit complex.=
 The reason I&#39;m going through all of this detail is that if anyone&#39;=
s not doing 4K video, all of the simpler routing and switching should work =
fine. However, if you have ANY thoughts of going to 4K, plan for that now. =
Hopefully I can save other folks some blood, sweat &amp; tears!</div><div><=
v></div>

--00000000000022951205ad64ccdd--

--===============2809942111012569047==

--===============2809942111012569047==--