Re: Light Plinth

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Light Plinth
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:49:43 +0500 (EST)
On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Joe Curry wrote:

> Alan,
> What sort of "plinth" are you needing?  I've seen two types of turn
> signal lights on early spits and neither of them have a plinth.  The
> early ones have glass lenses that are identical to the front glass
> lenses only red.  The later ones are a larger plastic lens that fit over
> a rubber curved affair that make them aim straight on a curved rear
> valance.  If it is the later type you are talking about, I am going to
> have the whole assembly available shortly, because I have located a pair
> of glass lenses to replace the later ones that are on my early Spit.
>
> If this makes any sense whatsoever, let me know.

It makes sense to me, Joe, but most "North American specification"
Spitfire 4s would have had the larger, plastic-lens lamp, with plinth
(gosh, I just love that word). The glass-lens lamp was featured on the
home market cars.

Similarly, the front TURN SIGNAL lamp on the Spitfire 4 and Mk.2, from
about 1964 on (North American spec.) was a larger (than the glass L594
lamp), white-plastic-lens lamp. In both cases, I suspect the change was
made to meet some Federal standard.

I don't have my spare parts catalogue at work, so I can't be sure. But I
suspect that the larger rear lamp is likely correct for your car, Joe.
(Don't want to lose those valuable Concours points, now do you?) ;-0

--Andy