Re: New Modem Required - Don't go shopping just yet

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Subject: Re: New Modem Required - Don't go shopping just yet
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 22:58:33 -0400
Tom (et al):

He's mistaken.

Trust me.  I'm a project manager for Lucent Technologies, voice and data
networking are my business.

He may have been referring to one of several new technologies, none of
which are likely to drive standard modem connections from the internet
landscape...

Maybe he was talking about one of the xDSL services, most likely ADSL?  It
would require different hardware, to be sure.  But it won't prevent ISP's
from offering good old dial-up PPP accounts!

Perhaps he heard about cable modems.  (I have one, it's awesome.  500kbps
downloads!  But I can still do a standard dial-up on my laptop when I'm not
at home on the cable connection.

One of the most reliable methods of testing a proposition is to try to
argue the counter...   So, even if some new technology were to make
significant inroads into the internet access arena, what would make an ISP
throw away all of their PPP legacy stuff, and the PPP client base as
well???  It just doesn't make sense.

Finally, I don't know if I can agree with the theory about planned
obsolescence conspiracys and such, it sounds juicy but I suspect a
conspiracy of that magnitude would be *awfully* hard to administer, no?  I
mean an *awful lot* of people would have to be "in on the secret", huh?

Regards,

John

http://www.jacksonville.net/~suchak/home.htm