Painting Accomplished.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Painting Accomplished.
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 19:09:32 -0700
Yellow.  No, YELLOW.  Actually  Y E L L O W .   That is what my car is
now.

For those that followed my queries and gave advice, thanks.  All worked
out pretty well.

I used Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel (I live in a
use-laquer-go-to-jail-area) and applied it with a HVLP gun.  The fumes
were very low, and the mist was minimal.  Most of what landed in the
garage is just yellow dust.  Clean up was easy.

The car has that "wet" look.  Not bad for a first-time garage job.  I
have to take out a couple of sags where I was trying to get behind the
MKII rotating door handle.

The hardest part was getting the gun adjusted, since I did not know what
proper adjustment is supposed to be.  The guy at the paint shop packed
it with instructions for the wrong gun.  He helped me on the phone
though.

I tested and adjusted on some cardboard and garbage can lids.  Then I
used  the boot lid as the goof panel on a table to the side.  I think I
will sand it off and redo it when I respray the sag areas.  It is kind
of  textured from not enough air.

Being in the garage, the car was visited by a few bugs and dust
particles before the paint dried.  Is there a compound that will rub out
blemishes?  I am not sure what can be done to acrylic enamel after it is
dry.

Thanks again for the help.
--
Brian W. Neuschwander