Spitfire engine marking

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire engine marking
From: Jari Tabell <Jari.Tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 21:43:27 -0700
Hi There, Greetings from Finland

I visited today a friend of mine who has a rally prepared Spitfire Mk2
Com. No. FC 55824. The car is originally imported to Finland in 1966 and
my friend bought it couple of years ago. Today it is the only vintage
rally Spitfire in Finland (my own Spitfire is the only vintage racing
one here, so there's not so many of us...)

The question is that in the engine there is a brass plate where the
engine number is normally located with the following markings:

EXCHANGE STANPART UNIT
FC 145 FRI
Cyl. Bores: 0,020
Main Journals: STD
Big End Journals: STD
STANDARD TRIUMPH

There is no stamping where the engine No. is originally

I think that it could be some kind of factory rebuild engine. Does
anyone have any idea what could be the history of it?

There is also a frame of some strange badge (the central part is
missing) on the bootlid left from the original Spitfire text. Could
these be somehow related?

Besr Regards to all, Jari
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell