Re: Spitfire engine marking

To: Jari Tabell <Jari.Tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine marking
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:10:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 9 May 1998, Jari Tabell wrote:

> I visited today a friend of mine who has a rally prepared Spitfire Mk2
> Com. No. FC 55824. The car is originally imported to Finland in 1966 and
> my friend bought it couple of years ago....brass plate where the
> engine number is normally located with the following markings:
>
> EXCHANGE STANPART UNIT
> FC 145 FRI
> Cyl. Bores: 0,020
> Main Journals: STD
> Big End Journals: STD
> STANDARD TRIUMPH
>
> There is no stamping where the engine No. is originally
>
> I think that it could be some kind of factory rebuild engine. Does
> anyone have any idea what could be the history of it?

I believe that's exactly what it is -- a factory rebuilt "exchange" engine.

> There is also a frame of some strange badge (the central part is
> missing) on the bootlid left from the original Spitfire text. Could
> these be somehow related?

I don't think so. Likely that was some sort of auto club (i.e., RAC, AA)
or sports or marque club (i.e. TSSC) or perhaps just one of those badges
that identified the country of origin of the car (i.e. GB for Great
Britain, etc.). What shape is the "frame"? Is it rectangular or oval or ???

--Andy

p.s. Will you be putting pictures of this "rallye" car on your Web site?