thrust washer

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: thrust washer
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:51:12 -0400
I just looked at the BEST spitfire that I have ever seen.  Even though the
color has been changed it has a very good paint job, no rust, good interior
(carpets needed maybe).  Drives like a new car.  Starts well, runs well, no
oil consumption, good compression,  everything is perfiect.

Well not everything. . . I did the thrust washer test and the crank end
play was about 0.100 inch, maybe a little more.  With this much end play I
think that I should consider that this car does not have an engine and make
my offer reflect that!   Am I wrong????

I didn't say, but it is an '80 with a probably one time rebuilt stock
engine.  The owner thinks the car has 113,000 miles.  I think it has been
restored (and well done) at some time.  Probably within the last 5 or 6
years and 13000 miles.  I suppose it is possible that the thrust washers
were never right.

Sam