Re: Spin On Oil Filter for spits

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@hey.net>
Subject: Re: Spin On Oil Filter for spits
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 06:48:21 -0700
Tom-

When I rebuilt my motor a couple of years ago, I encountered the same
oil pump issue.  The explanations I got were the later curved arm units
did a better job pulling up oil when driving activity forced the oil in
other directions than right to the bottom of the sump.  I think the
issue might have been hard stopping/loss of pressure, if I remember
right.

Re: Filters-- I run the small diameter filter on both the 79 and 65.
Both have 1500 blocks.  A special male/male adapter is used.  I remember
this adapter coming with one of the filters I bought, also.  The threads
are different on each end also.

The filter I use is a WIX 51516.  I think this is the WIX replacement
for the Fram PH16.  I quit using Fram because on several filters the
back flow check valves were non-functional.  This causes excessive
start-up engine wear.

I just changed oil in the 65 yesterday.  Didn't spill a drop.  That is
until I dropped a full bottle all over the engine, chassis, and
driveway. ERRRGG!

Also, do you remember the reverse extension trick to undo the drain
plug?  Us the female end of a 1/2" ratched extension, in the absense of
a square socket, to fit the drain plug.  Use a ratchet with an
appropriate sized socket on the male end of the extention.  This will
give you enough length to turn the ratched between the left wheel and
frame.  No need to reach under the car and bust you knuckles on the
concrete or chassis!

--
Brian W. Neuschwander