Re: John Deere

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: John Deere
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:00:43 -0400
At 06:55 PM 5/25/98 -0700, Joe Curry enviously wrote:
>  There it
>was, a beautiful Lotus Esprit in Dark Green (could have been BRG) with
>yellow pinstripes and yellow wheels.  I parked the Spit for a closer
>look and as I meandered on over, I was overcome with the brilliance of
>the interior.  It was bright yellow leather.  I just stood there
>spellbound for a few minutes before leaving.
>
>I can't say that I would buy a car in that color combination, but I must
>say, it was definitely an eye catcher.

Joe, what you saw was a 1991 Jim Clark Commemorative (sp?) Special, one of
20 in the USA.  It celebrated the 25th anniversary of Clark's victory for
Lotus in the Indianapolis 500.

On Saturday I got to look one over carefully at a cookout with the PALS
(Philadelphia Area Lotus Society). Sure is a bright yellow/gold, isn't it?

That model was the most expensive Esprit brought to the US, sticker was
something like USD $91,000 in 1991!  No Esprits were sold as '92 models (in
the US anyway), and for '93, after having written off the costs of the M100
Elan, Lotus only asked in the 70's for new Esprits.

You could probably get one today for less than $30K (that's 2 1/2 of your
$13,000 Spitfires!)   <big grin>

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
'88 Esprit