Re: John Deere

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Re: John Deere
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 05:33:59 -0700 (PDT)
> >was, a beautiful Lotus Esprit in Dark Green (could have been BRG)
with
> >yellow pinstripes and yellow wheels.  I parked the Spit for a closer
> >look and as I meandered on over, I was overcome with the brilliance

Here's a question regarding that lotus, and other vintage racers:

While watching Speedvision the other day, and the Le Mans
qualification runs, I learned that Silver is the national racing color
of Germany.  Thinking further on this (scary!), I wondered:

1)  Is the national racing color of Italy red?  (Ferrari, Maserati,
Alfa - most I've seen racing are red).

2)  Was BRG the national racing color of Britain?

3)  If #2 is true, was Lotus always using the BRG/Gold combination?  I
was watching Graham Hill in a vintage race, and he had a Lotus/Ford
Formula One car, BRG, gold/yellow racing stripes, gold/yellow wheels.

At the British Car Day auto show here at Chateau Elan, in Braselton,
Georgia, I saw a rare MG racing car.  Don't remember the exact model,
but it was BRG, and supposedly spawned the idea for the AC Cobra (i.e.
light roadster with powerful engine).  Cool car!

Anybody got any knowledge of national racing colors?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Also, non-lbc content:  Saw a feature on Briggs Cunningham on "Legends
of Motorsport" - VERY informative.  The original Carroll Shelby, beat
him by 10 years or so (car building, that is).  Those old Cunningham
racers in the 50's were pretty cool!

Chip
'71 Spitfire - BRB (British Racing Blue?)

==
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari