[Fwd: Re: spitfire questions]

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: spitfire questions]
From: Steve Wawrzyniec <wawrzyns@surfsouth.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 01:17:53 -0400
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 03:06:51 -0400
From: Steve Wawrzyniec <wawrzyns@surfsouth.com>
To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, spitfires@aoutox.team.net
Subject: Re: spitfire questions

Andrew Mace wrote:

> Tom O'Malley wrote:
>
> > > ...I'm going to re-inforce the backs of the cutouts with
> > > another piece of 20 gauge steel that's spot welded to the original
> > > wing for a distance of four inches or so.  The bonnet latch mounting
> > > screws will then pass through both pieces.  What I'm hoping to do is
> > > spread the loading over a greater area...we'll see. :-)
>
> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:
>
> > Just a thought on adding that extra thickness.  Keep in mind that the
> > latch bolts to the bonnet directly, anything you add in that area to
> > stiffen it up will force the edge of the bonnet out by that same
> > amount...
>
> Many (perhaps most) Spits, Heralds, etc., with this latch have some
> thickness of paper shim behind the catch on the side of the bulkhead. If
> the extra reinforcing metal behind the latch were to affect anything, I
> imagine one could compensate with thinner shims behind that catch.
>
> And, hey, just how many of us have absolutely perfect, straight, totally
> UNSPRUNG and unsplit (around the hinges or along the bottom "flange"
> below the latch) bonnets?  :-)
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I already tried the weld and plate fix, it does not work. I beleive that
the entire hood is too flexible, i.e. my bonnet twists slighly if I lift
it from any point including wheel wells. It occurs because there is too
much tension in the metal from the way it is curved and bent and there
is not enough reniforcement behind the entire bonnet. Stop drill the
cracks with a small drill bit, at the end of the crack (very end or it
won't work), look for with a maginifier. Keep a bit of oil on them,
enough to get in the crack, to eliminate corrosion. Make sure your
bonnet is adjusted to the least amount of tension,bending etc. without
affecting appearance. I put shims behind the inner fender latches to
keep them from pulling in too much. While I did this I had the rubber
posts loose enough to move freely and find a "no load" position", then
lifting carefully and tigntening without losing this position. Mine have
stopped growing, good luck on yours. But if you do try to eliminate them
you may only make it worse. The best fix is find a perfectly shaped
hood, make a mold from it and sell just enough properly reinforced
fiberglass hoods to pay for the costt of yours, I would try to buy one!
Good Luck!