Engine Compartment Facelift

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine Compartment Facelift
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 15:56:45 EDT
I will be getting a "new" engine block in a few weeks (thanks Joe) and am
considering painting it along with my head and maybe the water pump.  I figure
that while the engine is out and being rebuilt I may as well make it look good
at the same time.  Is this a good idea or a bad idea?  The engine compartment
looks kind of blah, just want to jaz it up a little.  Can anyone recommend a
good paint for this as well as anything to watch out for, techniques, etc?
I'm also considering a few chrome accessories like valve cover and oil cooler
hoses.  The oil cooler hoses should be available locally, but what about the a
chrome valve cover?  Any suggestions?  What can I expect to pay?  Any other
suggestions on possible improvements in this area?

My wife thinks that I have some kind of a sickness about the car, she may be
right.  This whole project started out as a simple head rebuild and progressed
to an engine rebuild and now is starting to look akin to a restoration.  I
love a good project!

David Gates
'73 Spit 1500
Hawaii