New Spit owner with some questions

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New Spit owner with some questions
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 09:18:20 PDT
Hello all. I'm the guy who asked about the chrome/rubber conversion last
week well I didn't buy that 80 spit (I just couldn't live with a
vermillion car).  But I do have a deposit on an Excellent 72 (BRG whoo
hoo).  So fasten your seat belts kids, its question time.

1) the current owner has an o/d tranny I can get with the car cheaply (I
don't know what type, d I hope) and he's giving me a replacement rear
end (3.89:1?) because he thinks he hears something in the current one
(4.1:1).  What else do would I need for an o/d conversion?

2)Performance modifications:  the owner said he had a DGV and manifold
to bolt on and a set of spax or koni air shocks.  I'm all for the weber
but I'd like some input on air shocks are they worth it?

3)Exhaust: is there anything out there besides monza and stock?  I've
driven a monza system and it has a nice note, but I'd like some more
options.  also are there really any quantifiable hp difference in a
sport exhaust?

4)Ignition: how long should a set of point generally last? I've been
toying with the idea of an electronic ignition, any suggestions.

Well that's it for now I'm sure I'll be asking and contributing more
once I get my hands on it.  As a side note I've been toying with the
idea of naming it the "Shmit-fire" since my friends call me Shmitty.

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, VPI&SU
72 MkIV?