Re: New Spit owner with some questions

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Spit owner with some questions
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:33:04 -0400 ()
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Ryan Smith wrote:

> 1) the current owner has an o/d tranny I can get with the car cheaply...
> What else do would I need for an o/d conversion?

The rear mount for the gearbox-to-frame would be most desirable; it's not
the same as for the non-OD gearbox, but it should bolt in ok.

> 2)Performance modifications:  the owner said he had a DGV and manifold
> to bolt on and a set of spax or koni air shocks.  I'm all for the weber
> but I'd like some input on air shocks are they worth it?

I don't know if, in fact, there is such a thing as Koni or Spax "air"
shocks. Anyone? However, Either brand of shock is a nice (and "tuneable")
improvement over stock. And true air shocks for the rear (see
<http://www.vtr.org/maintain/airshocks-spitfire.html> are also a viable
alternative to stock.

> 4)Ignition: how long should a set of point generally last? I've been
> toying with the idea of an electronic ignition, any suggestions.

Points can last from 0-20,000 miles or more. Nowadays, the usual points
supplied for Spitfires seem to range from useless to garbage. But there
are a couple of brands available still (hopefully), such as those from
Standard/Blue Streak, that are of very good quality and should last a long
time.

That said, electronic ignition is usually a worthwhile upgrade: pretty
much set-and-forget, and it will also help compensate for a worn
distributor.

--Andy