Re: springs shocks and shorts

To: "Jerry" <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: springs shocks and shorts
From: "rstieg" <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:20:00 -0500
Jerry:
Been there done that.  If your coils spring mounts are like my 75 spitfire,
simply undo the three nuts on the top of the shock/spring bracket after
loosening the A-frame lower bolt.  The shock/spring assembly will come out
in one piece.

Take the tiny "spring compressors" from VB to the next swap meet or
autojumble and sell them to somebody.  They are useless.
Go to Autozone or equivalent auto parts store and rent a "full-size"
'Murican Car spring compressor.  The one I rented had 1/2 threaded bars and
huge clamps on the ends and was over two feet long.  It's a fairly exciting
experience-I had one spring bounce around the workshop twice and cost me a
new set of shorts.  Replacing your front shocks as well as springs, right?
You do not want to repeat this experience.  Used a bench vise to compress
the rubber bushings on the front end parts-along with small amounts of
WD-40 as a lubricant. Good luck
rick stieg 75 Spitfire.