rear end noise

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rear end noise
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:26:07 PDT
Ok guys you heard my previous questions about the differential ratios,
but now I've been thinking if the diff. is indeed the problem.  How
common is it for these things to wear out?  The car is a 72 with 56K
miles on it.  The noise is VERY loud and is heard only under
acceleration and increases in volume the faster you go.  Since I don't
have the car (the owner is installing a new clutch before I pick it up)
I've been just dreaming up what could be making that noise.  Pinion
bearing? axle output bearings?  u-joint?  I know he replaced the right
half shaft joint but the other side wasn't done to my knowledge.  Is
there one on the drive shaft?  I can't remember.

Anyway all suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, VPI&SU <--- Virginia Tech