Re: rear end noise

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: rear end noise
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:38:39 -0700
Ryan,
If you are buying the car and the owner is doing work on it for you, I'd
request that he fix the problem.  That way there is no doubt.

It is a good idea to replace U-Joints in sets.  Spits have either 3 or 4
U-Joints (2 on the axle shafts and either 1 or 2 on the drive shaft,
depending on the year).

If one wore out, the other was probably not far behind.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Ryan Smith wrote:

> Ok guys you heard my previous questions about the differential ratios,
> but now I've been thinking if the diff. is indeed the problem.  How
> common is it for these things to wear out?  The car is a 72 with 56K
> miles on it.  The noise is VERY loud and is heard only under
> acceleration and increases in volume the faster you go.  Since I don't
> have the car (the owner is installing a new clutch before I pick it up)
> I've been just dreaming up what could be making that noise.  Pinion
> bearing? axle output bearings?  u-joint?  I know he replaced the right
> half shaft joint but the other side wasn't done to my knowledge.  Is
> there one on the drive shaft?  I can't remember.
>
> Anyway all suggestions are welcome, thanks.
>
> Ryan Smith
> Mechanical Engineering, VPI&SU <--- Virginia Tech

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer