Re: 77 Spitfire front end shake

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: 77 Spitfire front end shake
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:55:17 -0400
Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

> Freddy has had a front end shaking problem for quite a while. At 70 and
> over there is a fairly strong side to side motion. Sometimes it will go
> away for a moment or two and then come back. This seems to have started
> after I had the front springs changed last summer. When I bought him he had
> very stiff sport springs, I had these changed out for stock 1500 springs
> and had the Koni's set softer and an alignment. I don't believe it shook as
> bad before that. New tires and recently a different set of wheels have had
> no effect. It's fine up to just about 68mph, and it is a distinctly side to
> side motion quite unlike a wheel out of balance. The front end seems very
> tight. Any suggestions (other than to not go over 68mph ;-))? I have a new
> set of early 1300 springs that are going on soon, and I plan to stiffen the
> shocks back up - went too far in the soft direction the first time, and the
> 1500 springs make the nose sit too high.
>
> Kevin Rhodes
> Freddy the 69-80 Spitfire
>
> BTW, it was great meeting people from the list at DOT - can't wait until
> the British Invasion to meet some more!
Kevin,
Several things to look at... Check the condition of both the front and
rear trunnion bushings Or just outright replace them. Then have a wheel
alignment done on the vehicle.  Either one or both of these will
greately effect side to side shake problems.
--
Patrick Barber
74 Spitfire 1500 (FM14774U)