Non-lbc New toy

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Non-lbc New toy
From: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:04:38 -0500
Hey all,
        Just thought I'd take tell everybody about the latest addition to my
auto
collection.
I went searching for a transmission and possibly a radiator for the V8 Spit
I'm building.  I took a look at a 3 speed transmission that could make a
nice temporary replacement for the spit.  It happened to be in a 1971 Ford
F100.  When I popped the hood on the truck I discovered something pretty
surprising!  Under the hood was a recently rebuilt Ford 390 V8.  It had
been bored out, had headers added, Stock Holley Carb, new fuel pump, etc.
Pretty cool.

The exterior of the truck is pretty oxidized, with only slight rust.  The
cab is pretty nasty inside, but the engine is damn nice.  The price for the
reansmission was $100 if they removed it.  I asked about purchasing the
engine and the tranny, and he said around $300.  After thinking about it,
he said he'd sell me the whole truck for $300.  I'm going to give him a
ford FMX automatic transmission and pay him $275.  He'll guarantee the
truck for a month and promised to have it running when he hands it over to
me.  Not bad eh?  It's not 4wd, but I'll live.  And he's going to throw in
a new radiator that's perfect for my spit project.

I figured on spending $100+ on a transmission, and $100 or so on a new
radiator.  Instead I'm getting an entire truck for the price of a
transmission.

Sometimes I get lucky.  The 390 is known for some small cracks to appear
around the spark plugs, but that's about it.  Otherwise it's a good engine.
Let me know what you think.

Will