Re: Rotary Engine Conversion -or-

To: "Bowen, Patrick A" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Rotary Engine Conversion -or-
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:28:31 -0700
Hi Patrick,
        Engine swaps are blasphemy to some, but I haven't been struck
by lightning yet.
Grass roots motorsports (http://www.grmotorsports.com) did an article
in their Mar/Apr 97 issue on a rotary spit conversion. I haven't seen the
article or the car, so I don't know how much information it has.

(Chris sharp says in the triumphs list...)

Bowen, Patrick A wrote:

> Greetings to all!!
>
> I am beggining a frame off restoration, and have a couple of questions.  So
> here goes.  The fram that I will be using for my restore is perfectly
> straight but suffers from rust worm (pretty bad) I was intending to simply
> cut the bad spots out (mostly in the back where the frame angles up) and
> weld in new patches, I was considering then welding a reinforcing plate
> that overlaps the good and bad areas to reinforce it.  Any experience here?

I would just add that depending how much power you expect to get out
of the Wenkel, you might want to add reinforcement to the frame to
keep it stiff. I don't think even a heavily tuned spit gets much
over 100hp. Of course if you too much over that I imagine you'll
go through spit diffs at an alarming rate.

If anyone has expirience putting 120+ hp into these things, I'd
be interested, since mine is going to get a late model twin cam
sentra motor one of these days.

> My second question is, I am considering using a Mazda Wankel (Rotary)
> engine as part of my conversion.  Does anybody know of someone that has
> done this, a web page with it, or just personal experience.  My questions
> concerning this are as follows.  What year of Mazda rotary's are best to
> use.  Is it hard to convert over the fuel injected systems or is it best to
> stick with carbs (what years are which).  Can the Rotary be used with a
> standard Spitfire transmission with overdrive or am I asking for trouble,
> what about the differential.  Any solutions here.  I know the rotary has a
> 5-speed tranny but how hard will it be to convert the shifting mechanism?
> Is the Mazda's clutch hydraulic, or mechanical?  Also what are the
> complications on using standard Smith's guages for Speed and Tach.

I don't know anything specifically about the mazda tranny, but you
should find one to measure. My datsun A14 and 5 speed comes out with the
shifter in just the right place, and the only thing I ended up changing
for the clutch was moving the pedal linkage a little to get a
better ratio between the nissan slave and the triumph master.

> One last note I am looking at moving the battery to the trunk to help
> resolve the weight ratio problem.  I also wanted to put in A/C (since with
> the Rotary I would have plenty of power)  I was thinking of enclosing the
> battery box and using it to hold the evaporator.  Any good a/c units that
> will work well with a spit.  (down here in Florida, having the top down
> just isn't enough!

Well I guess if Goldwings can have AC, so can convertibles ;-)
(lets not get back on that AC thread)

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Terry thompson wrote:

> Going back to someone commenting about being out-accelerated (sp) by a
> VW Bug while driving their Spitfire. I've recently had the low
> horsepower and acceleration of my Spitfire 1500 pointed out to me again
> and again (spent this past week driving my friends 88 corvette while he's
> out of town sort of topped off the experience).  My question is...How big
> of an engine can one put into a Spitfire without some serious modification
> (Will I have to completely replace the frame or body panels with
> custom made parts?).
[...]
> Terry Thompson
> '76 Underpowered Spitfire
>
> "So what? I'm sure lots of people get beat in the quarter mile by Geo
> Metros."
Yes but have you ever been out cornered by a metro ? Or a bug ?

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com