Mk II Eyeball Jiggler

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mk II Eyeball Jiggler
From: Randall M Potter <rpotter@MAIL.CLARION.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:05:34 -0400
My '65 Spitfire Mk II vibrates at any speed over 45 mph.  It seems to be
coming from the rear end, so ball joints, tie rods, etc. don't seem to be
the problem (this is confirmed by my local alignment shop, which has
declared the front suspension solid).

My guess at a cause is something out of balance/worn out in the drive
train.  Primary candidates are:  universal joints, drive shaft balance, and
rear wheel bearings.  There is no noise associated with the vibration, just
a feeling similar to driving over rumble strips.  As I noted above, it
begins at about 45 mph and continues to at least 60 (I haven't tried faster
as I don't want to self destruct).  It starts suddenly and at full force
(i.e., does not increase in intensity with speed once it has started).

Any suggestions of posible cause or cure before I begin replacing parts at
random will be appreciated.

Randall M. Potter               HTTP://Psy1.clarion.edu/rp/homeremedy.html
Department of Psychology
Clarion University of Pennsylvania
Clarion, PA 16214
FAX: (814) 226-2438