Front dampers Spit / GT6

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front dampers Spit / GT6
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:24:50 +0100

     Hello everyone

     I came to rebuild the front suspension units of my Spit 2000 project
     yesterday.  I previously thought that I could re-use the Spax dampers
     that the Spit 1500 had previously used, but knew that the springs must
     be changed for GT6 ones to cope with the heavier engine.  I
     disassembled the old spring/damper assemblies (using the proper tool!)
     and immediately noticed that the Spit springs were about 1 1/2" longer
     than the replacement GT6 ones I recently bought (I got stiffened but
     not lowered ones from John Kipping)

     Is this correct?

     Are the front dampers different in length between the Spit & GT6?

     I can just about reassemble the springs and dampers without the spring
     compressor - so there is basically no preload on the springs.  This
     cannot be right can it?

     TIA

     Pat