Re: Ready to pull the body off

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Ready to pull the body off
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:16:22 +0100
     Hi there

     I did all this on my '78 Spit about 6 months ago - this is what I
     remember.

     It is *imperative* that the door apertures are properly braced
     (especially if the floor is rotten) to avoid the floor pan bending in
     the middle.  Leaving the doors on is a fairly good way to brace the
     aperture, but doors are fairly heavy things.  I got some 1" angle
     section steel and made up a pair of braces that fitted between the
     lock striker and the top hinge point.  Did lots of measuring even
     before the doors came off to make sure I wasn't bracing a gap that had
     already shrunk/grown.  You can get multipurpose door braces that have
     a screw bit in the middle so that the total length can be adjusted
     once fitted across the gap.

     Once this had been done I invited 2 mates around after work on false
     pretenses.  The 3 of us took the strain (one on each door brace and
     the other gripping the remains of the rear valance).  On the count of
     1,2,3 we lifted.  The complete back end of the car came up!  So I
     disconnected the hand brake cable and we tried again.  Same thing.  I
     was convinced all the body tub fixing bolts were out - but no.
     Triumph hides 2 of them under a mastic sheet behind the front seats
     (nearby the differential inspection cover).  There have to be dug out
     of the 20 year old goo with a chisel.

     So 3 young(ish) chaps lifted the tub without doors - with the doors on
     I think 4 would be needed for comfortable lifting.

     Finally the tub was off.  The floor area is fairly flat and can be
     rested on the ground quite safely.  I was really supprised to see how
     good my chassis had been preserved - very little tin worm.  I hope you
     can say the same thing.

     Since then I have been slowly stripping down the suspension and
     welding on new bonnet hinge boxes.  With a bit of luck I'll be sending
     it all off to the sand blasting man soon to give it a good clean up.

     Let us all know how it goes

     Pat