Re: Update on poor Spit Performance

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Update on poor Spit Performance
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:26:33 -0400
Pete -

New plugs, sudden loss of power, hmmmm....

You say you checked the spark plug gap, but have you tested the plugs?
You might be running on 3 cylinders. I spent a month once tracking this
down.

If you're running on 3 cylinders, then pulling the wire off of any of
the 3 working plugs will leave only 2 firing cylinders, which will give
you a very poor idle. Pulling the wire off of the one bad plug won't
make any difference in your idle. If all four cylinders are firing, then
pulling off ANY wire will drop the idle, and you can go back to the
carb, vacuum, crankcase ventilation, whatever.

CAUTION: Do not touch any metal part of the car while you are handling
the high tension wires of a running engine! You will get a very severe
shock. Ask me how I know. Best bet is to loosen one wire at a time -
pull back the dust boot and pull the end of the wire part way off, so
it's still on but it comes off easily. Start the car. Then, standing
clear of the car, grab the loosened wire and listen for a change in idle
speed as you pull the wire away/touvh it back. Repeat for each cylinder.

Hope this is it, 'cause it's so easy.

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald
'68 TR250