Re: GT6+ rear hub problem

To: "Thomas Carney" <gt6in@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: GT6+ rear hub problem
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 14:01:50 -0500
Tom,

...been there, done that.  Very recently.

My problem originated in bad threads on the axle shaft and a replacement
washer that was insufficiently hard.

I recently replaced that outer axle (what a bitch of a job - get a vice grip
chain wrench or a good ratchet strap to compress the rotoflex).  I used the
correct nut and washer.  I have just had a repeat of the incident.  The
bearings, while they appeared to be all right,  may not have been.  Or,  I
may need to use loctite on the shaft.  Is it the left shaft?  Could the
noise be the shock hitting on the rotoflex?  Or perhaps some grit that got
in behind the innermost dust shield (when it could move in and out 1/2").

I will report further on my experience if anyone else cares to enquire.

good luck

Dave