Re: Le Mans-style fiberglass bonnets; was ADU4B Pictures

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Le Mans-style fiberglass bonnets; was ADU4B Pictures
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:52:21 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Joe Curry wrote:

> I'll let you know in a few months when I've fully butchered the bonnet
> on my latest Mk1 Spitfire acquisition.

Joe, sounds like you're going the "classic" route: nosed, Frenched
headlights, etc. :-) Seriously, though, with the proper dimensions and
photographs in hand, I'd suspect that any fairly skilled panel-beater
could nip-and-tuck their way to an acceptable replica of the shape
(although aluminum or fiberglass would be nice for the weight savings).

> I have heard that fiberglass bonnets are available but only in Europe.
> This would mean that shipping them to the US would likely be quite dear.

Over the years, there have been any number of "Le Mans style" bonnets
available in fiberglass from both the US and the UK. Some of those in
years past (and current?) were either rather poorly made or only vaguely
similar in shape to the "original"!

Meanwhile,  I believe there are some rather better-made replicas of the
works rallye bonnets available (those with the extra headlamps faired in)
from Jigsaw Racing (sound right, UK listers? I don't have the ad/article
I saw handy at the moment). But again that raises the shipping question
from UK to here in good old US of A.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *