Re: Totally topless = rollover safety?

To: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Totally topless = rollover safety?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:02:14 -0500 ()
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Chip Mautz wrote:

> I think I've asked this one before, but this email brought it back up -
> how safe is the Spit in a rollover?...the windshield frame slope changed
> on the MKIV's and on (maybe even the MKIII's?) - does this make it any
> less/more strong?  Anybody know?

I don't "know" if there was any real difference between the "strength" of
the Mk.IV and later frame v. the earlier bolt-on frame. Frankly, I've seen
both body styles in all severities of rollover. I've seen frames survive
only lightly scratched, I've seen them twisted enough to destroy the glass
but still  remain partially "upright"; and I've seen them flatter'n a
squirrel under a semi. :-)

If anything, the later style might be just a wee bit LESS sturdy? It's
about the same configuration, and it is integral to the body tub, but it's
also a bit deeper at the base and therefore has a bit less metal there.
Whether that makes any difference....?

All depends on how you roll, how fast you roll, how many times you roll
what you roll onto....

--Andy