RE: Spitfire Brakes

To: "'OneTimeCRX'" <hchea@orion.ramapo.edu>, autox <autox@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: RE: Spitfire Brakes
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:11:31 -0600
Henry,

What vintage Spitfire?  If you are comparing the brakes to anything modern
then you are just seeing the change that 30 years makes in brake technology.

If you changed out the front components then typically they'll be working
better then the rears anyway.  And the way the physics of braking works, as
you brake hard weight is transferred to the front wheels which decreases the
likelyhood that they'll lock up anyway.

What method did you use to bleed the brakes?  I'm partial to the piece of
vinyl tubing off the bleed nipple so you can see for sure that all air is
out.

I'm not sure which hoses you installed.. but if you're truly concerned get a
set of the steel braided hoses.   Check the usual suppliers (email me direct
for a list if you don't have the list).

Jim
'76 Spitfire  DM 76
'73 Spitfire 1500 road car... the eternal project
'78 Spitfire 1500 road car... the two year project
and many many others!