Re: Misc. questions - answered (Longish) - stubborn knobs

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Misc. questions - answered (Longish) - stubborn knobs
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 22:06:39 -0800
Atwell wrote:

[lots of good tips and other info snipped]

{Q}

{A}
> Mine just came off with a gentle tug. The shaft is hex-shaped.
> Perhaps a very small open end wrench (the size of the shaft) would
> 'persuade' it to come off without breakage?    Good luck.

A trick I use on electric guitars, but might work other times
you want to remove a stubborn knob above wood you don't want to mar:

Take a length of two conductor zip (lamp) cord.  Split the conductors
only in the middle.  "Button" the knob through the hole in the zip
cord.  Pull the ends of the cord to your heart's content, but be
prepared for when the knob pops loose.  You can launch them across
the room.
[...]

--
Bob Sykes

"Learning without thought is labor lost."
--Confucius