U Joint Yokes

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: U Joint Yokes
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 01:33:33 -0500
I'm in the middle of rebuilding the whole rear axle on my poor Herald.
This question concerns the axle shafts.

I measured all 8 u-joint bores, 2 in each axle and 2 in each flange. 7
of them were .937". One was .942". The worn bore is on an axle, not a
flange, so it would be very expensive to replace.

Can I shim it? If so, is Al foil OK, or is the dissimilar metals issue
going to bite me? Can a machine shop sleeve the bad bore? Can they do it
for a lot less than the $150 for a new axle? Has anybody had any success
overcoming this without buying an axle?

Bill Kelly
2 sick Triumphs