Re: RE: FIBERGLASS

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RE: FIBERGLASS
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:53:29 -0500
At 11:48 AM 11/12/98 EST, you wrote:

>I've got some rust in the floor pans of an Alfa Spyder. I had planned to
clean
>it up with a wire brush, and then treat with POR-15 rust remover and paint.
>(This car is a  driver, not a concours restoration.)
>
>Will this stop further rust in the affected area?

Brad,

It should.  After wire brushing it (I use a 4" - 10,000 rpm grinder with a
heavy duty knoted wire brush), I'd treat the "clean" metal with one of the
metal conditioners like DuPont 5017 metal conditioner.  Then paint with
POR-15.  This is what I've done to my Bricklin and Spit.

>When I remove the rust, I realize that I may find some areas that have rusted
>through. How large a hole (or Swiss cheese metal) is OK without welding in a
>replacement panel? (Again my concern is preventing further damage and
>maintaining structural integrity, not appearance for a concours judge.)

The "hole" isn't the only thing to worry about.  If you have a lot of
"Swiss cheese" then the metal is very thin and week.  If you don't want
the expense of buying new floor pans, and don't have a welder, I'd recommend
that you lay a couple layers of fiberglass cloth to reinforce the metal
floor pan.  That way you don't put your foot through or worse have the seat
fall through.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi