where'd my performance go?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: where'd my performance go?
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 12:49:26 PST
Hello listers yesterday I bolted on my hardtop and took out the spit in
some less than ideal weather (fairly cold and slightly wet).  First
thing I noticed was that the car was very hard to start.  It choked out
several times and a had to keep my foot on the gas just to get it
warmed.  It finally got up to temp and idled about right.  Then I drove
around.  There was a significant drop in acceleration.  And for my car a
significant drop means that a bicycle is quicker than I am.  At mid to
high speeds under nearly full acceleration it would even misfire
sometime.  This all new to me.  For all my cars faults its never run
this badly.  I've been neglecting it recently due to illness and work
obligations and I think its mad at me.

I'm thinking its in the carb (single stromberg).  I've never really
messed with it since buying the car.  The ignition is all new stuff and
gapped and timed correctly.  At least it was a month ago.

as always any help is appreciated

Ryan Smith
72 Emerald Green Spit (even more anemic than normal)