Re: Moist Spit

To: Mark Milotay <mark.milotay@onthemark.bc.ca>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Moist Spit
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:19:52 -0500
At 01:27 PM 11/17/98 -0800, Mark Milotay wrote:
>Fellow Spitsters,
>
>With winter having descended damply upon me in the lower west coast of
>Canada, my car is very damp inside. I just installed a new convertible top
>and while it fits well, it does not keep out 100% of the rain. The most
>noticeable feature (other than having to continuously wipe down the inside
>of the windows as I drive, is that the backing on the roof is very moist.

The film you are drying off all the time is not kind of greasy, is it?  In
that case you may have a leak in your heater core, and anti-freeze is on
the window.

Last year I installed an AAMCO top on my Spit, and I found that I needed to
replace the rubber door seal as well to stop water ingress.

  Coating the windshield header with vaseline (or any other non-petroleum
grease) stopped a lot of leakage from there when driving.

I also transferred the metal stiffener/straightener from the old top to the
new one ( along the rear of the door glass).

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(57 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98