RE: BS AU48 1965

To: spitlist@gte.net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: BS AU48 1965
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:10:00 +0000
Good question Joe,

I could tell from the number that it was a British Standard (BS) Automotive (AU)
regulation based upon the 1965 revision.  It's the 48 that tells us what it is
concerning...

I first of all checked with our vehicle homologation depatment here at work and
they had never heard of this spec.  Being from 1965 it was very likely that it
has been superceded, so I checked an old index of standards...

There I found that BS AU 48 (1965) is related to the regulations about seat-belt
anchorage points (mainly strength requirements).  This standards was applicable
until 1971 when it was completed superceded (rather than revised) by new
regulations.  I guess it was stamped on the VIN plate to show that the Spit
conformed to the current regulations at the time, as all vehicles should have
done to legally be put on sale.

Regards

Pat