Re: Thrust Washers

To: "Chris Taylor" <spitfire@worldchat.com>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: "William Gregory" <william@purplenet.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:10:28 -0500
Chris, you can remove the thrust washers without removing the engine. Drop
the oil pan and the rear main bearing cap. The thrust washers are only in
the block and not in the rear main bearing cap. When you remove the main
bearing cap you can see the thrust washers in the block. There are two half
circle washers--one for the crankshaft front thrust and one for the
crankshaft rear thrust. A small screw driver can push each one out of the
block. If they appear stuck in the bore--have someone turn the crankshaft at
the same time you are trying to push out the thrust washers. Be very careful
you don't scratch or nick the crankshaft bearing surface. I have never had
any trouble removing and installing new ones.   Good luck.
  Bill