Re: TR 6 Alternator?? & alternators for GT6

To: neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: TR 6 Alternator?? & alternators for GT6
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:24:59 EST
In a message dated 98-11-21 14:06:40 EST, neil.mcallister@fvrl.bc.ca writes:

> Does anyone know if a TR 6 alternator will work in a 1980 Spit 1500?  No, I'
>  not sure what year the TR the alt is from.  The person selling it feels it
> would
>  likely produce more amps than the Lucas model 16ACR recommended for the
Spit,

In a message dated 98-11-21 14:59:51 EST, agostinihp@earthlink.net writes:

> Can someone tell me if the following alternators cna be used
>  on a 72 GT6 or a 69 Spit:  Alternator from a 7/71 build date MGB, which
>  has a Lucas with the following markings:
>                                               5
>                                            1  6  ACR
>                                               7
>  The 5, 6, 7 were in a column between a large one (1) and ACR;
>    the second alternator is on a 79 Spit but I could not see any
>  names or markings.  It appears to be a Lucas.

Neil and Hector,

Electrically, yes, mechanically, maybe. From an electrical standpoint, there
is no doubt that the alternators you are asking about will work. Mechanically,
there may be small differences that might make them difficult to use. I have
two Lucas alternators in my shop, one from a TR6, and one from a (?). There is
about 1/4 inch difference between the mounting ears on the two units.

The wiring changes are not difficult at all, and if you will describe the
connections on the units - both the one you have now, and the one you want to
use - I will try to help you figure out the changes.

A 16ACR is rated at 34 amps, a 17ACR at 36, an 18ACR at 45 amps. The 17ACR was
used on early TR6s, while the 18ACR was used after Comm # CF1. I'm not sure
what was used on the various Spitfires.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html