RE: Clutch Weirdness

To: Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Weirdness
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:46:43 -0800
Mark

I had some similar sounding symptoms which didn't require tranny removal
(probably work checking before pulling the box).
The pin connecting the slave cylinder rod to the clutch fork dropped down
about an inch when the clutch was pushed in. It wedged itself against the
bell housing preventing the clutch fork from returning. The master cylinder
returned, leaving the slave cylinder and connecting rod in place. The
clutch pedal went completely rigid, wouldn't push down at all - but there
was no clutch enagement at all, just say there and spun.

The fix was to pull the slave cylinder and cut out the offending pin
(trusty swiss army knife). No removal of gearbox required, but a bit
fiddly. Pin has yet to be replaced (5 years ago). Currently the connecting
rod (plus a packer) just pushes against the recess in the fork.
At the time it was a quick fix to get me home - I guess I'll replace it
properly when the clutch really does let go.

Cheers

Mark Sinclair, 64 Spit.