Re: rotary spit

To: tomomalley@meganet.net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: rotary spit
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 17:21:07 EST
In a message dated 98-11-27 21:52:36 EST, tomomalley@meganet.net writes:

> I really admire folks like Dan Masters, Barry Schwartz and Tom Suddard
>  who have the engineering skills and the patience to do these
>  conversions properly.  I figure there's some serious brainstorming
>  going on here before these guys even *think* about picking up a
>  spanner.   At the same time I'm getting just a little bit nervous
>  hearing all about those on the list who plan to convert their
>  Spitfires.
>
>  Spitfires seem to be irresistible targets for engine conversions.
>  Something about that one piece bonnet, open wide, makes you think you
>  could stuff a 426 Hemi in there.  Maybe you could. :-)  But I worry
>  that too many of the cars are getting hacked up by folks who get in
>  over their head.  Wasn't there a fellow on the list last year who was
>  building a new frame outta 1/4 steel plate?  Yikes!!  Where's *that*

Tom,

Boy, I almost hate to stick my nose in here again, considering how battered it
got the last time, but, what the heck, here goes!

I agree with you about Barry and Tim, they are two of my role models, but it's
too soon to say about that other guy. Everything is looking good right now,
but the jury isn't in till it's finished and on the road. I'm getting to
devote a good bit of time to it right now, so hopefully, soon.....

One of the things I admire about Barry and Tim is their willingness to share
what they've worked so hard to learn with others. Maybe with the information
they provide, there won't be as many unfinished projects around as there might
otherwise be (following in their footsteps, I am documenting every thing I do,
and I plan to publish the information when it's finished. Copies are available
of what I've done so for, if any one is interested, and I try to keep the
material up-dated as I go along). As much as I'm in favor of modifications, I
very much share your concern about folks getting in over their heads and
scrapping what would otherwise been a good restoration project. Probably for
every Barry or for every Tim, there are at least 10 others who attempt
something similar, but lack the skills, patience, time, or money to complete
the project. Who knows how many desirable cars have gone to the crusher for
this reason - not just Spitfires, but other makes as well. This problem is
very prevalent among the street rod/hot rod set. This doesn't just apply to
modifications, but to restorations as well.

Speaking for myself, you are absolutely right when you say we put a lot of
time into the project before starting. There are folks who have the skills and
experience to jump right in and go, but I'm not one of them. One of the most
time consuming aspects of my project has been my refusal to make any non-
reversible modifications till I am absolutely sure that it's all going to work
out. I have spent hours fitting pieces when they could have been fittted in
minutes if I would only go ahead and make the cuts, but I have been determined
from the start to either finish the conversion as planned, or leave it so it
could be restored to stock, but under no circumstance did I want to allow the
car to be ruined. I don't want to cut out a piece only to find that I had gone
past the point of no return and what I wanted to do wouldn't work. I haven't
passed the point of no return yet, but I have gone past the point of easy
return. Even when finished, though, it would take less work to return to stock
than some basket cases I have seen brought back to life - the modifications
are not that severe. It wouldn't take a tenth of the work to restore as, for
example, the TR6 that Practical Classics restored a few years back. I am far
enough along now that I no longer worry much about how it will turn out,
because all of the major problems have been solved. This car WILL NOT go to
the crusher!  It WILL be on the streets before too awfully long. Even if I
were to die tonight, it wouldn't take much for someone else to finish it.

I don't think it is a crime to modify a classic (as long as it is not TOO rare
- I wouldn't modify a Triumph Italia, for example), but it is a crime to
destroy one while trying.

> Andy the troublemaker writes...  :-)
>
>  >I have to ever-so-slightly disagree here. Cost really IS a factor in some
>  >cases. It's one thing to blithely say "drop in a pair of SUs and a header
>  >/ Triumph 6 / Ford 302 / Mazda Rotary / Allision V-16 /Pratt & Whitney
>  >Turbine...." But the hard fact is that one has to be mindful of the costs
>  >or each swap itself AND the associated costs of drivetrain, chassis, body
>  >and other modifications -- and benefits -- as each decides what might be
>  >done and what each of us is capable of doing or paying someone to do.

>  "Ever-so-slightly disagree"  He he....what diplomacy!  And you think
>  this man has the moniker "Mild Mannered Mr. Mace" for nothing??

No, I think there is only a slight disagreement here. When I said the cost per
horsepower was not relevent, I was refering to a comparison between a
'finished'  modified car and a stocker. Andy is very much right when he says
the cost - and the time - must be factored into the equation when
'considering' a project such as this. Once the car is finished, it is apparent
that the builder had the time and the money to do it, so that's no longer a
factor. He is also very much right when he talks about all the other aspects
that must be taken into account. With an engine of less than 200 HP, I
probably could have left the rear end stock, but when I chose to go with 320
HP, I had to 'choose' to upgrade the rear axle as well. I also had to upgrade
to a world class T5 transmission, as the standard T5 wouldn't handle the
torque. With the rear axle comes larger brakes, so the front brakes must also
be up-rated. The list goes on. When it came to the actual construction, one
very important lesson I've learned is that you can't completely finish ANY
thing till you've partially done EVERY thing. Virtually everything you do has
some impact on something else, no matter how seemingly un-related they are.

It's been a lot of work, but it also has been a LOT of fun. When this one is
finished, I plan to start another. I don't think I could live without a
challenge in the garage (read: my wife will kill me if all those tools I
bought lie idle).

While we're on the subject, just for the record, let me say here that I had no
intent whatever to insult or to "bully' anyone with the comments I made. I can
see where the comments I made in response to N.A. Campiglia III could be
viewed as an insult, even though they weren't meant to be, and I have
apologized to him. If anyone else was offended by those comments, I apologize
to you as well.

I'm going back to the garage now, and work on the monster some more. What a
blast!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html