Re: Outside Door Handles

To: Dianne & Ree Gurley <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Outside Door Handles
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:39:55 -0600
Ree,

I was working on installing my outside door handles today and it was no fun.
I did not remove the window, the inside mechanism or the latch.  The main
problem was the spring clip that is involved with the lock.
It (real roughly) looks like:
        ___
       /    _|
     /                         There is a hole in each of the diagonal parts
which a long cotter pin slides through
    |                          to activate the lock.
     \      _
       \___|

I stuck a nail through the two holes then wrapped wire around the horizontal
tabs tight enough to keep the clip compressed to that point and pulled the
nail out.  I, then, installed the handle and slid the cotter pin through the
holes at the same time.  (Actually my girlfriend did that part as she could
get her hands inside the door easier).  It still wasn't easy, but it worked
much better.

Oh, by the way, I spray painted the gaskets flat black.  They look better that
the cardboard color. Especially with the black handles of the later Spitfires.

Just thought I would let you know before you got to that point.

Where did you find staples that were short enough?

Roger Elliott