Triumph parts for sale web site.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph parts for sale web site.
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:38:14 EST
Hey everyone,

I remember a while back there was a discussion about how it would be nice to
set up a website where people could list parts that they had for sale.
Recently I started looking into ways that I could make that happen.  After
all, I may soon have parts to sell off of my "new" parts car myself.  My
thought was setting up a threaded message board for this purpose.  That way no
one would be required to administer it on a daily basis.  I could set it up
with categories such as Spitfire, GT6, TR6, etc.  If you have a part or even a
car to sell just post a message in the appropriate heading.  When it sells
just post a followup to it that says SOLD.  The SOLD will appear directly
under the original post.  Then once a month or so I can go in and delete the
sold items to make it easier to find stuff, more often if needed.  But the
actual posting of items would be automatic.  I should be able to incorporate a
search function as well.  I think I found a good place to host such a site for
free, we will just have to put up with an advertisement banner at the top of
the page.  Unfortunately I cannot use my AOL space that I am using for the
Rogues Gallery (http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm) because they will
not allow me to use anyone's perl/cgi programs except AOLs.  And AOLs programs
are not adequate to the job.  I am hoping to be open for business in about a
week.  If we start with just the spitfire list and it works well, I will add
categories for other Triumph models as well.  There is no financial interest
in this for me as all money will be transferred directly from buyer to seller
(unless of course I sell something myself).  I would just be providing a place
to meet up at no cost to anyone.

What does everyone think?  Is anyone working on something similar?  I would
hate to duplicate someone else's effort.  This will get something going pretty
quickly while I look into a full fledged database system.  A database system
would be better, but I need to do more homework for that, it could be a while
(or never).

David Gates
Hawaii
'73 Spitfire 1500 (Daily driver)
'78 Spitfire 1500 (working on this one)
'76 Spitfire 1500 (just acquired, probably going to be a parts car)
http://members.aol.com/gatesdavid/index.htm