V8 Race Spit

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: V8 Race Spit
From: Tom Strange <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:53:40 -0800
Thanks for all the support and questions.  Every question makes me think (&
that's an
accomplishment in itself) & develop my plans a bit more.

Reed, suggested I check out "The Beast" ..... I'm impressed & will be
contacting Dave
for any input he may have.

>  Bob Lang commented on using Webers..... thanks, it has been in the back of my
> mind.  You're right a set of IDA's would be beautiful.  Another possibility
>would be
> a set of DCOE's on cross ram tubes to keep the overall height down some.

Tom Carney asked about the heat problem.  You're right.  Heat will be a
problem, one
common to many race cars.  I plan to use the typical solutions, header thermal
coating
& or wrap, ventilation as possible, reflective heat shield in the floor /
tunnel area
etc., & deal with it from there as necessary when I get the car rolling.  On a
stock
car such as your GT6, the reflective heat shield should be a big help, & if you
need
more a header wrap may help also, although this is not normally done on street
cars.
If you do wrap your headers on a street car, remember that you may want to
change it
on a yearly basis to avoid having it accelerate rust problems.

Tom O'Malley, commented on someone sounding like they might do a quick & easy
job on
an engine or a set of Webers.   I'm in full agreement with you Tom, it can't be
done
well unless you're "really" good (that person probably exists, but it ain't me)
&
should be avoided.

Susan Hensley, you're daring enough to sound like you might jump into the
ro-spit
race...... maybe if you & I get together & block well enough........ nah, not my
style, but I'll crew for you, if you'll do the same for me.

James Carpenter, asked if I might get any spitfire drawings up on autocad......
doubt it, I'll have my hands full with the race car project.  Plans that I do
draw,
will be available to those that are interested after I can build to the point
that I
am comfortable that it will work & be safe.

Andrew Lindberg, asked why I want to change the front suspension.  This will be
bolted
to a tube frame, not a true spitfire frame.  The tube frame will be no more
expensive
than trying to make a spitfire frame strong & safe enough for the weight &
power.
(Also, this way I don't ruin a restorable frame.)  There are many versions of
the
Mustang II front end, from stock, to hotrod, to full race, that will bolt in,
allow
stronger steering & suspension, better brakes, stronger hubs & wheels &
excellent
parts availability.

Vic Whitmore, commented on the broken spit vertical link.  This is a weak spot.
 Even
on the 1300 Spitfire street / comp car I am now finishing for next years
racing, every
thing has been upgraded to GT6 components, giving a slightly stronger vertical
link &
a much stronger spindle.  These parts have all been magnafluxed ........
something I
feel is necessary on any car this age, that will be raced or even used for
hotroding
on the street.

I think this covers many of the people that sent me notes.  If I missed
someone, I
apologize but its not intentional.

Keep the thoughts & questions coming.  This project will not only happen, it
will be a
success, & the car WILL be very fast.  If you folks can keep me thinking, it
will help
get the project moving, & improve it immensely.  Thanks to all for the input.

Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi.,  920-733-5013