Re: gt-6 diff in a 75 spitfire?

To: "rstieg" <rstieg@ci.bartlett.tn.us>
Subject: Re: gt-6 diff in a 75 spitfire?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 07:05:08 -0800
>Since I have a half-inch "play"in the diffy on the car, I looked in the
>attic and what did see, but a gt-6 diff and several bits of
>drivetrain. (friend moved and I agreed to 'store' the stuff)  He said the
>spider gears were welded and the thing was under a spit
>x-crosser.  questions:
>       1. does it "bolt" right up-is the splines on the driveshaft the same?
**************************************
I'm not sure what you mean by "splines", but externally the differentials
are the same.  It will bolt on with no problems.  The only caveat is that
you most likely will have to plug the two, "inner most" threaded spring
mounting holes, as the GT6 (without the swing spring) uses 6 hold down
studs instead of the four the swing springers use.
>       2. what about a 'solid' rear end with no posi-track for the street?
Unfortunately, it's a bad idea for the street.  EVERY time you negotiate a
corner you WILL scrub off tire rubber from the inner wheel trying to catch
up with the outer one - plus it puts an extra strain on the axles and
u-joints in this situation, especially on pavement

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire