Moving to Arizona

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Moving to Arizona
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 14:41:35 -0800
Well, my fiancee (or financee, in this case -- even she admits she's
high maintenance (and I thought LBCs were bad)) has finally convinced me
to leave beautiful Atlanta for some Hell in the middle of the desert
called "Mesa."  So, I'm consulting the collective wisdom of the Lists
regarding long haul moves with an LBC, in general, and the fine points
of bringing Malibu Barbie's Dream Car into Arizona, in particular.

- If I have a moving company take care of the move, should I expect MBDC
to be packed up in the moving van with the rest of my stuff, or is she
most probably going to be put on an open car carrier for the trip with
all the horrible thoughts that brings to mind?

- If I go the self move route, U-Haul has a car carrier (a trailer, not
the dolly type) for under $200 that I would use.  Does anyone have
experience with these things?  I'm most concerned with the narrow track
of MBDC and getting her on an off without scraping any important items
from of her bottom side.  Also, is road debris kicked up by the truck a
problem?

- What's it going to take to get MBDC registered in Arizona?  I have a
bill of sale, but because she's a '73, no title is required in Georgia.

-  Along the same lines, what am I going to have to go through regarding
emissions inspections?  In the Atlanta area, she's exempt, being a '73,
but I understand she'll have to be inspected every year in Phoenix.  She
should be able to pass a static tail pipe sniff, but I don't know how
she'd do on a rolling road, a visual inspection, or a gas cap test.  How
would they do a gas cap test, anyway?  In Georgia, I think they take the
cap off of a "normal" car and put it on a test stand to see if it is
functioning properly.

- Does anyone have a recommendation for a good parts house and/or
mechanic in the Phoenix area?  I feel a little spoiled with Atlanta
Imported fifteen minutes away, and I'm going to miss that quirky bunch
of guys.

I guess that's it for now.  TIA for the always good advise.  BTW, Joe, I
tried to talk Nancy into trading houses with you (I assume your Mk I and
spare doors would come with the deal), but she wouldn't bite.  I love
the Pacific Northwest with all its green; however, she's more partial to
rocks, dirt, and cacti.  Still, I experienced a wonderfully rainy
Thanksgiving weekend in Sedona, so there is a little hope for me, yet!

-Schuyler

--
Schuyler E. Grace
schuyler@bellsouth.net