RE: Vinyl (or other) Upholstery -question, and interchangeability?

To: sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: RE: Vinyl (or other) Upholstery -question, and interchangeability?
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:56:24 -0600

> I started the thread about leather seats in the spit, and I'd be willing
> to get together a list of people that might want to do this and call
> around to see what kind of deal we can get.  though, like ryan says, there
> are at least 4 different types of spit seats that I know of: mk. I, mk. II
> & III, mk. IV, and 1500 (unless the IV and 1500 are the same, I don't
> know).  the mk. II and III are the same to my knowledge.  I'd have to find
> out if a manufacturer would be willing to give a discount for different
> types of seats, or would they have to be all the same?  color is also a
> consideration.  again, I assume black would be the best way to go if they
> all have to be the same, but if they don't, well, I guess the sky is the
> limit.

Black wouldn't be acceptable to me on my 1500 but would on my Mk1.

> so, if y'all want to e-mail me your mk. type and preferred color, I'll
> make a list and see what can be done.  I'll have to wait until my last
> final is finished this wednesday, but after that, I'm free.

Spitfire Mk1 1964.  I would buy for this car ONLY if the price was real good.
Spitfire 1500 1973.  I need foams and seat covers.  Either in vinyl or leather.

Price is of course a prime factor here.  I don't even know what I want to do
with the 1500 yet so I'm not even sure I should spend any money on it as
yet.  But price can dictate certain things!

> oh, along these same lines, does anyone know if other tr seats match any
> spit seats?  I'm thinking specifically of tr2/3 seats or maybe tr4 seats
> in early spits.  I'm not up on the exact years, but wasn't the tr3 in the
> early '60's and the tr4 in the mid/late '60's?  maybe there was some
> parts-bin engineering.  something else we could bargain down with.

The spit seats do NOT match any of the TR seats.  I've checked out that
idea before.  The early mk1 spitfire seats are similar to the TR2/3/4 seats but
smaller and cheaper made.  (surprise!).  TR3's were last made in 1962 with
the TR3B.  The TR4's were from 1962 to 1965.  TR4A's were from 1965 to
1967.  All those seats are different from each other.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108