Re: moisture in exhaust

To: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: moisture in exhaust
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 06:45:25 PST
Patrick,
Beg to differ.  The combustion of any hydrocarbon (under which gasoline
falls) produces serveral things of which include CO, CO2, and H2O all in
the vapor phase.  The water will then condense on the relatively cool
tail pipe and revert back the liquid phase.

Admittedly most of the water you see on a modern car is from the
platinum reaction, but not all.  My spit doesn't have a cat but it'll
still produce water, especially when its colder outside and the
temperature differential between the exhaust gasses and the environment
is higher.

Ryan

Ryan,  Not really a product of combustion, it is a product of the
combustion gases after they pass through a Catalytic converter

Patrick

At 05:49 AM 12/8/98 PST, Ryan Smith wrote:
>Good or bad I don't know.  I do know that water is a normal by product
>of combustion.  Both my spitfire and my explorer have some degree of
>water in the exhaust.
>
>Ryan Smith
>72 Emerald Green Spitfire
>
>Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 07:25:29 -0600
>From: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
>To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
>Subject: moisture in exhaust
>
>I've heard stories like "If waters coming out the exhaust, then you've
>got
>a good engine" and "that's perfect combustion there" and "HEY! you got
>my pants dirty"
>
>Does water (lightly) splashing out of the exhaust indicate anything
good
>or bad about an engine.  My spit has been doing this since the rebuild
>40K miles ago.  My mustang did this too and left two black circles on
my
>dads garage wall.
>
>Kevin

Patrick Bowen